09 December 2006

do not mess with my cat

There is nothing like going to the doctor to make you feel stupid for skipping science class. They can tell you anything and you will believe it simply because you know no better. After a $30 co-pay and $15 for the generic medication, hopefully, you are on your way to better health. That is if you have insurance. If not you had better hope the doctor accepts payments or you may have to stay after to wash dishes. I ran up a 10k doctor bill when I was 21 because I did not have insurance. I have some now. The cat does not.

Now imagine it is not you who are sick but your cat. If you are like many your cat is a member of the family and there is nothing you would not do for the sick animal. The problem is you still skipped science class and therefore have no clue what the vet is talking about.

This is exactly what happened to my cat Cassady and I. One day Cassady’s eye swelled shut, I decided to wait to see if it got better the next day. I was not rewarded for my wait as he seemed worse the next day. Fortunately, my vet had an appointment for me first thing the third morning. By this time both the cat and I are miserable.

Everyone at the Lawrence Veterinary Hospital seemed very helpful and caring at first. The receptionist gets me right in with what I will call the nurse for a lack of a better idea. She does the usual, weight, temperature, and symptoms while we wait for the vet. We have a few moments so I tell her about how he gets colds all the time with sneezing and mucus. Then the vet arrives to look important and sound serious. He tells me, after a cursory look, that it may be an abscessed tooth or a tumor and that we will need to sedate him and take x-rays. At this point I should add that my childhood pet died of a tumor in his ear.

I tried not to get emotional because it is the week before finals and I knew I was stressed. Then comes the good news, it may run as much as $465 and some odd change. They drew up an estimate for me to sign and I agreed instantly because I just wanted my cat to be alive and healthy. Then I left him there. I received a call later from the vet saying that all of the x-rays and tests were complete, meaning all my money spent, and I could pick Cassady up around 3pm. Moreover, he had no clue what was wrong. The nice nurse showed me how to administer the meds and how much and often. We went home.

Three days later the cat and I were both just as miserable. I called the vet back and the nice nurse lady answered. She sounded genuinely concerned and suggested I come in the next morning to see the other vet in the office who has years of experience with cats. This remark sounded odd but I let it pass.

By the time Joshua and I returned from the movie later that night I was about to cry from looking at my poor, miserable cat. Joshua decided to Google it and in two minutes had the answer. Cassady has a very common case of feline herpes. The key word in that sentence is common. I am just glad that my job making $10 an hour was enough to cover the $465 vet bill. I am going back with my digital voice recorder. The cat and I are pissed. We want the money back and proper treatment.

1 comment:

derek said...

sounds like what happened with dizzy - she had quit eating from all the stress of moving cross country, and had lost a ton of weight. her kidneys eventually started to shut down. we took her to the idiot vet in LA and was told they wanted to put her on a stomach tube, or a feeding tube and that we would need to do 3-5 feedings a day through said tube - for the next 4-6 months. weekly visits were mandatory, and of course you can't just shove standard kibble through a feeding tube, so you have to buy special food from the vet. all in, they estimated the cost at $4-5000. oh and we have a 90% success rate with the feeding tubes.

uh... 5 grand is too much... we don't have that... what other option do we have? well she needs to get nutrients in her system. you could try force feeding her. we see about a 30% success rate with force feeding.

30% versus 90% - not good odds. so i did a little research on the good ole internet about cats that were in dizzy's condition. the 30% 90% numbers were repeated, but then i happened across a woman's website where she had 90+% success rate with force feeding - and the one that had died actually had been so far gone, that probably nothing would have saved him.

so we went to the vet and got a plastic syringe, and the nastiest, smelliest, goopiest cat food mixed it with a bit of water, and started force feeding her every 1-2 hours day and night for 3 days. on the 3rd day, she started drinking on her own, and later that day, she started eating. my theory is that she had basically "forgotten" what it was like to eat, to be full, to feel hunger/satiation. Force feeding reminded her of the motions and the feelings of eating, and she picked up on it and started doing it naturally.

then there was the time that the vet wanted to do exploratory surgery on lulu to find out if she had cancer. it turns out that our normal vet looked at her and said... she's diabetic. here's some insulin.

i think vets immediately mention the tumor/cancer idea because it can't be ruled out without extensive testing/spending.

it is a rare vet that can work from experience and not from numbers and tests. i've considered finding a "holistic vet" - i figure they are going to be less likely to depend on tests for diagnosis and more likely to work from experience.

good luck with the kitty! :)

derek